GOOD, CLEAN AND FAIR FOOD IN THE HUDSON VALLEY
The Snail of Approval award is a recognition given to any food business or organization in the Hudson Valley area that is pursuing and practicing Slow Food values of good, clean and fair food for all: restaurants, farms, ranches, fisheries, cafes, bars, food trucks, breweries, wineries, caterers, value-added food producers+. Unlike other food awards, the Snail of Approval is always awarded locally and through the lens of a sustainable food system.
The award is given based on evaluations focused on the following six areas:
- environmental impact,
- cultural connection,
- community involvement,
- staff support and
- business values.
We aim to create nationwide awareness that recognizes the impact of vital food organizations. Our goal is to stimulate greater support for these important businesses by eating, participating, volunteering, patronizing, donating and spreading the word. We envision an ever-growing network of consumer, business and environment-friendly food operations.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Any food business or organization that produces and/or offers food for public consumption and is pursuing and practicing Slow Food values of good, clean, fair food for all—restaurants, farms, ranches, fisheries, cafes, bars, food trucks, breweries, wineries, caterers, value-added food producers+.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS
STEP 1: SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
- If you are a food or beverage business and would like to apply for a Snail of Approval award, please fill out and submit the Eligibility Application: https://s.surveyanyplace.com/snailofapproval.
- The application is multiple choice and takes about 30-45 minutes to complete. Unfortunately, you can’t save your progress as you go, so here is a preview of the application created in Google Slides.
STEP 2: EVALUATION PROCESS
- We have borrowed the evaluating principles from B-Corp. The evaluation calls for a minimum score of 56 out of 128 points.
- Applicants who receive a passing score of 56 or greater will be contacted by a Slow Food Hudson Valley board member to participate in a short 30 minute followup phone call interview and/or on-site visit.
- Applicants who receive a score below 56, don’t worry! While the minimum is a high standard for any food establishment, we understand the road to sustainability is a journey. We would love to reach out and work with you on ways you can meet your goal so you can reapply whenever you are ready.
- Based on the Eligibility Application score, interview and site visit, the board will select the awardees.
STEP 3: AWARD / RECOGNITION
By being awarded with the Snail of Approval, you join a local and national network of like-minded food entities promoting a sustainable food system. As an award recipient, you will:
- receive an official Snail of Approval window decal for your place of business as well as digital assets for menus, signage and other digital platforms;
- be featured in Slow Food Hudson Valley’s newsletter, website, and social media platforms; and
- gain national attention by being listed on Slow Food USA’s map and directory.
MAKE A NOMINATION
Do you have a favorite restaurant that practices the Slow Food values of good, clean and fair food for all? Let them know they can apply or send us an email at email@example.com with the business’s name, contact info, website (if applicable) and a short explanation of what your nominee is doing for our food community and how they best exemplify the beliefs and principles that embody Slow Food.